Monday 29 October 2012

On the road


Written Thursday 25th October

Soundtrack: Mumford & Sons- Below my Feet
'Keep the earth below my feet
From i swear my blood runs weak
Let me learn from where I have been
Keep my eyes to serve... 
My hands to learn'

On the greyhound bus, with Mumford accompanying the ever changing canvas the windows have to offer. Every now and again I think 'this is Australia!'. It's hard sometimes matching a word with so many associations,to the place you are seeing with your own eyes. Parts of the countryside look like Yorkshire, followed by an area of dark orange rock, a turquoise lake and a koala road sign. That's when I remember where I am.

We are heading north to Rainbow Beach, where I picture the sands to resemble those old school holiday souvenir jars filled with multicoloured sand. An unrealistic expectation waiting to be dashed! Every time we move from one place to another it's like the start of a new holiday. What beds will we sleep on? What will be our local shop? Who will we meet?

We're very excited for our 3 day Fraser Island camping trip starting from Rainbow Beach tomorrow, and also a little scared. 

I have my rape alarm incase a Dingo tries to kiss me! (Or a snake, or a Jelly Fish, or an eagle, or a shark, or a huntsman spider... )

No comments:

Post a Comment