Thursday 22 November 2012

Mission to Magnetic

Soundtrack: Red Rabbits- The Shins

Our last night in Mission Beach after the skydive, we headed down to the local (and only) bar with our new friends. There was a live reggae singer who passed the microphone to Clare for a sing along, who then passed it to me. All of a sudden Jamaican rap spilled out of my mouth and appeared to rhyme! I was MCing for about ten minutes with a surprisingly impressed audience. I dont quite know how it happened, but it was fun! 'Mi shoe is broke, because some bloke, he lost his track and he stood on da back. I don't know what im saying, i'm talking shite, but according to you It sounds alright AIGHT!'

The following day (Saturday 18th), a four hour Greyhound bus and a ferry lead us to Magnetic Island, just off the coast of Townsville. Named so due to Captain Cooks failing compass upon discovery. He figured it had an unusal magnetic field, we won't tell him he just bought a faulty compass hey.

The place is heaven, but the heat is hell. We stayed at Bungalow Bay YHA, a hostel that stands out as my favourite so far, attached to a koala, bird and lizard sanctuary. We made friends with a lovely Irish girl named Maria, who also shared our cabin. Me, Clarem Laura, Maria, a couple of cockraoches and a token possum who climbed the outskirts. I woke up in the middle of the night staring into his eyes! There were cockatoo's flying about, kookaburras, toads, possums and wallabies. We held 5 variations of lizard, a crocodile, a turtle, cuddled a baby Koala and saw a Wombat.

The next morning Lau and Clare departed to start their farm job south of Sydney. It was quite strange being alone after all this time with company. I felt a little needy and vulnerable for about 10 minutes and then I loved it. Its really quite wonderful being left to your own devices, it feels completely free. I explored the beach, re organised my backpack, had a coffee, and chatted for a whole hour in the pool with a lovely new friend Susan from America. The rest of the day was spent melting in hammocks, and down at the beach. That evening was Bingo! I was joined by Essex Dan from my room, Monike, Susan and a few others. I won bingo twice, one round won by a dance-off due to a tie round. I think my forward rolls won the audience over. I drank my winnings with my new little social group, played ring of fire, star gazed on the beach, played on kids swings, (got stopped by the police...i think they were bored!) then ventured back by 1 in the morning. A lovely evening with lovely company, i was sad to leave.

Next stop- Port Macquarie.

I made a good friend on the place, we had a giggle. She was 10 month old but who cares, age isn't an issue right?

Time to meet up with Hannah and Ray and start work helping an Australian fella with his land and animals: an exciting and unpredictable prospect.

A new chapter :)

No comments:

Post a Comment