Sunday 11 November 2012

Whitsundays

Sound track: Sam and the Womp- Bom Bom

Just to explain, the song I list at the beginning of each blog entry is a  song that was most listened to, or reminds me of the past week. I always write with my headphones in, there's nothing like a bit of music to fuel a thought! Sam and the Womp is not my usual creative thought soundtrack, and perhaps the Austalians outdated cheesy dance music choice is rubbing off on me a little, but this song was played at the hostel club all week and we belted out during our pre drinking shenanigans. This week has been party week! Airlie Beach has grown on us a little more each day, now we can't walk 2 minutes from the hostel without seeing someone we know, I like that. 

Something that striked me ths week is how well us 5 go together. We are all different, but it like 5 different ingredients making a tasty little cake! Where else could I belt out songs from Buffy the Musical without being judged? 

Our 2 nights on board the Habibi sailing round the Whitsunday islands were 2 days to remember. There were 21 other people on board, plus 3 crew; Liam and Ryan, and Captain Bluie! The first day we sailed for the best part of 3 hours whilst absorbing the sun and the turquoise views whilst Ryan and Liam cooked for us; sausages, stake, pasta, bread and salad. Due to sea sickness i only managed bread, I might have eaten some sausage if i hadn't of rolled it onto the floor along with my fork. If there were a sport in cutlery dropping I would be world champ. That evening after a few glasses of wine, ( by glasses I mean plastic cups, and by wine I mean goon) we were rocked to sleep in our cabins. The cabins downstairs looked like they were build for an anorexic version of the 7 dwarfs, walking down the corridor I made the most of feeling like a tall person , for what will be the only time in my life.  

The next day was brilliant! The bell rung at 6.30  a.m for breakfast and a cup of tea, then we went to Whitehaven beach and took some stereotypical mid air jump photos. If that's the second best beach in the world I can't imagine the beach holding first prize.  After sailing and lunch aboard, it was time to snorkel the coral reef, and my nervous butterflies took off. Stinger suits on, flippers attached, snorkel sucking our eyes out, ready to go! We lowered ourselves into the sea, Hannah latched onto ray and I latched onto Clare. I bobbed around in tow, scrunched up in a ball so the metre sized fish didn't engulf me. But as soon as I lowered my head and looked underwater the fear swam off! A new world!  We followed a docile looking turtle as he munched on plankton, we found nemo, and swam through schools of  illuminous fish. Whilst I was so happy to have conquered my fear I was relieved to get back to the safety of the boat.   


 We were treated to spaghetti bolognaise and garlic bread that evening, and the crew introduced us to a drinking game. 4 boxes of Goon later, we fell asleep under the stars.

Back in Airlie beach we joined our new boat friends for free pizza and drinks and we took part in another club competition (jelly wrestling). Of course we won again ($300) Well done Ray!) Which brings our weekly winnings at $800...not bad. 

Next stop: Mission Beach




No comments:

Post a Comment